ABOUT ADVOCATE MONIKA ARORA:
Monika Arora is an advocate practicing in the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India, High Court of Delhi and District Courts.
She has been nominated Standing Counsel, Union of India (in Delhi High Court) (2014 onwards), is also Standing Counsel for North MCD (since 2014); Standing Counsel for National Council for Teacher Education i.e. NCTE(since 2015); Legal Counsel for JNU.
She has represented various Ministries including Ministry of Human Resource Development, Youth Affairs and Sports, Urban Development, Defence, Home Affairs, External Affairs, Information and Broadcasting, Environment, Department of Personnel and Training, Finance Ministry, Ministry of Communications and other Ministries.She has also represented Indian Army, Navy, Air Force, Para Military Forces including ITBP, Assam Rifles, BSF, CISF, CRPF etc. in various matters in Delhi High Court.
She has argued many important cases which have been reported in Law Journals.
She has drafted, filed and defended many prominent cases widely covered in Newspapers. Some of them are as follows:
- Represented Ministry of Human Resource and Development in over hundred cases in the High Court of Delhi.
- Represented Ministry of Home Affairs in the case where prayer was sought to lift the ban on the documentary on Nirbhaya case namely “India’s daughter”.
- Represented Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports in the case filed by Sushil Kumar, Wrestler for seeking berth for Rio Olympics.
She has also represented Sports Ministry in various matters pertaining to Asian games, Olympic games, CommonWealth games, World Championships, etc.
- Represented MCD in the Court to get the illegal slaughterhouses closed in Delhi.
- Represented Ministry of Information Broadcasting in case filed by Colors TV regarding repulsive content in their programme KhatronKeKhiladi and also represented the same Ministry against a private news channel regarding the same programme in a different case.
- Represented MCD and Government of India in cases filed regarding prevention of Dengue, Chikungunya in Delhi.
- Represented MCD and Government of India in cases filed regarding strike by SafaiKarmacharies of MCD.
- Represented Government of India in cases filed regarding regulating Radio Taxies namely Uber, Ola,
- Represented MCD in a number of cases filed regarding unauthorized construction.
- Represented Government of India in Arbitration matters.
- Represented Government of India in a case filed regardingDecriminalization of Marital Rape.
- Represented Government of India in various cases filed regarding Medical Council of India.
An advocate with Zeal and passion, dedication and commitment, she has filed many Public Interest Litigations (PILs) on various issues especially in the educational field. Her PILs pertain to improving the educational system in the country. Also as a result of her petitions, posters were banned in Delhi, Cow Protection Board was formed in Delhi, derogatory references to freedom fighters were removed from school books, etc.
Monika Arora was born on 28th August 1973. She did her graduation from Hindu College, Delhi University, Post graduation including M.A, M.Phil, Law from Delhi University and obtained all degrees in 1st Division.A meritorious student throughout, she won many awards and scholarships during her student life including Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) and ShastriIndo-Canadian Scholarship for doing Research abroad in University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
She also received Sahitya Shri Award from Hindi SahityaSammelan for her contribution in the field of education.
She also received Award for her contribution in the field of education by Sanskrit ShikshakSangh.Born with leadership qualities, Monika Arora was elected as Secretary, Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) in 1992-1993, and President DUSU in 1993-1994.
Born with leadership qualities, Monika Arora was elected as Secretary, Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) in 1992-1993, and President DUSU in 1993-1994.
Known for her oratory, Monika Arora had the opportunity of traveling throughout India and abroad on various issues and various forums.
Monika Arora also represented India in youth exchange program in China.
She was enrolled as an Advocate with Bar Council of Delhi in 2007.
PUBLIC INTEREST LITIGATIONS: Pro Bono Publico:
Monika Arora has filed a number of Public Interest Litigations on various issues some of which are stated as under:-
- Monika Arora Vs. University of Delhi, WP (C) No. 18205 of 2005
New Law was enacted on directions issued by Hon’ble High Court of Delhi that people defacing public walls in Delhi by putting up posters, etc. will be prosecuted and fined Rs.50,000/-.
- Venkatesh Vs. Bar Council of Delhi &Anr., WP (C) No. 1323 of 2007
Bar Council of Delhi passed an Arbitrary Rule debarring persons above 45 years of age from being enrolled as advocates. As the result of her petition, Bar Council of Delhi had to withdraw the aforesaid impugned rule thereby providing relief to thousands of aspiring advocates.
- Monika Arora filed another case in the field of education for removing defamatory words for freedom fighters like LalaLajpatRai, BalGangadhar Tilak, Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, and others. As a result of her case, the insulting words like militants, extremists and terrorists were replaced with the word ‘Revolutionaries’.
- Hon’ble Court has issued a notice in the case filed by Monika Arora for removal of derogatory &casteist words from NCERT books being taught in the schools.
- As a result of her Public Interest Litigation, Government of India gave an undertaking in the Hon’ble High Court of Delhi which was upheld by Hon’ble Supreme Court of India that Sanskrit shall be taught as the 3rdlanguage in KendriyaVidyalayas instead of foreign language.
- As a result of her Public Interest Litigation, National Council Teachers Education (NCTE) had to include Sanskrit in the languages to be opted for Central Teachers Eligibility Test (CTET) in June 2011.
- In her Public Interest Litigation, she sought directions from police and government on affidavit as to what was their comprehensive plan to deal with rowdiness & lawlessness of stunt bikers at India Gate.
Leading a group of Women advocates, she mentioned the Nirbhaya incident urging Chief Justice, Delhi High Court to take suomotocognizance and monitor the probe in the Nirbhaya rape case. Suomoto cognizance was taken by Delhi High Court thereafter.
Passionate about the law, dedicated to her profession, Advocate Monika Arora works forJustice, equality, liberty in society thereby making it a better place to live in.
ADVOCATE MONIKA ARORA
Address: B-100, First Floor,
Shivalik, Malviya Nagar,
New Delhi – 110017